Friday, July 20, 2007

(too much?) stuff for Liam

One of my big tasks this summer has been figuring out how to address Liam's sensory/speech needs. After getting a ridiculous amount of criticism during graduation week of either exagerating Liam's problems or causing them by not being around enough, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out if/how to start therapy this summer and other classes. My main realization was to really simplify our lives. So many classes, rushing around, etc. can overwhelm him and all of us, and I've realized that probably the reason why his speech is so fluid when he has a high fever is b/c his body's systems have to turn way down to fight an infection, so he is able to be much calmer. After calling lots of therapists, I've decided that it would be best to get that all started through the school system and focus our time and money on other avenues - specifically martial arts and a neurological therapy called Handle.

Handle has been good overall, because it focuses on massage and other ways to deal with the source of his issues, though I really question the copyrighted aspect of it. It's also forcing us to do these therapies with him every day. I also took him to a martial arts class, which he didn't want to go to. It was great - I called the teacher and asked him what he thought - he suggested bringing Liam in just to see the studio and to meet him, but that he didn't have to do anything - Liam loved it and has been a few times - but I have no idea how to keep this up during the school year. I really do worry about how to do martial arts and all of his other therapy while also trying to go to school full-time.

After Chris and I had a great meditation time last week, we decided that we really wanted to introduce the kids to meditation - we haven't figured out the form, except them witnessing us doing it, but it has felt good to look at all of these therapies out there and come "home" so to speak with what unites Chris and me - and what has been really great for our relationship - meditation - and how this calming effect hopefully will really help him. I think it also addresses a concrete way to deal with the whole values/moral teaching question that I know a lot of recovering Christians face in raising kids - there were a lot of great pieces of it - the ritual, the music, the reflection - though I want to avoid the shame, guilt, exclusionary, sexist, etc. aspects of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home