Sunday, August 26, 2007

Part 3...New and Old Me-dia

But then I went to a stimulating session on “designated emphasis” (DE) for PhD students – i.e. like a minor on your doctoral degree. I went interested in film studies or new media. The session confirmed my interest in new media, as well as my feeling that film studies is just too esoteric to the class/inequality/social movement issues that I’m interested in. But I was bummed b/c I didn’t see sociology as the list of fields that supported the new media designated emphasis, so I asked that question. I was assured it would be ok and was invited to a reception for the Berkeley Center for New Media that night – right, drats, bummer – that’s the type of thing that I can’t generally go to b/c of the kid factor. I also fantasized about Chris and I being able to go to something like that together, but, of course, he usually works too late for me to even go, and we didn’t have childcare set up – Mickey had been watching the kids all day (go Mickey!). But I called him in my excitement, and he said he’d try to come home, so I could go. OK, when I came home - I had a lot to do – hang with the kids (quality? Time), make dinner, clean up and try to put on my “new media” trendy outfit. So as I was trying to get dressed in Liam’s room and interact with his creative play at the same time, I suggested that we get “called out” – i.e. firefighters responding to an emergency – a common game we play. As I said he needed to put on his turnout gear and ran to get his rain boots – I thought for a second – yes, boots, this outfit would really benefit from my black leather boots – it was a rare parenting moment where I could suceessfully multi-task without alienating the heck out of my kids. Chris got home just in time. I gave him a kiss, food instructions and jumped in the car. I also had that rare moment at the reception of feeling like everything (almost) clicked. I now realize it was a benefit of being a “returning” student (read “old”). I moved around the room with confidence, talking to people who could make this DE work for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home