Sunday, August 19, 2007

first day of school part 1

First day of school - funny that this second time around - it's not as novel - last fall, Chris took a photo of me on my way to school. But the last few weeks, it's taken me awhile to fall asleep as I've been stressing about the micro-level scheduling of childcare for the kids. I'm feeling really grumpy about the hodge-podge care I have for Kalian - mixed with so many unknowns of Liam's therapy with the Oakland public schools. Right now, I'm ignoring one of the speakers of our orientation as I write this - this is a session for the whole university. (i.e. I guess I'm not being too rude by typing.) I was just looking at the graduate student magazine, which featured Cal's family friendly policies - it is really great, but I honestly haven't benefited from any of them
- I found out too late about a grant for parents
- We couldn't get into childcare
- I already have kids, so I can't benefit from the maternity leave.
It's all great, but it seems focused on grad students who have kids during school and do not make any more than the 20k/year stipend - which I'm putting entirely into childcare - and it doesn't even cover it. Well, there is a parent/family workshop today, so I will report back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home