Friday, October 19, 2007

Liam: From Born Again to Handy Girl

Lately, for bedtime, Liam and Kalian have been wanting to read “Handy Girls” – a great feminist 70s book about two 5ish year old boys who are always wanting to hang out at their big sisters’ and friends “Handy Girls Fix-it Shop” where they fix, build and repair things. At the end of the book, one of the boys says, “If I were a girl, when I grow up, I’d want to be a handy girl.” Or something like that. Today in the car when Lev, Liam and Kalian and I were talking about Halloween costumes, Liam said, “If I were a girl, I’d like to be a handy girl for Halloween.” I said, “That’s the great thing about Halloween, Liam, you can be whatever you want.” Liam’s face lit up (ok, we were at a stoplight), and he exclaimed, “Yeah, I get to be a handy girl!” Ah, patriarchy turned upside down.

Of course, since I'm in academia now, I have been analyzing the girl power books that I've been reading to the kids. In many of the books, including this one, the fact that girls are handy or basketball players or construction worrkers often brings up in the text some type of shock or suprise that girls can do such a thing - I understand the intention - but I'd rather instill in my kids that it isn't a big deal for girls to play these traditional masculine roles. Comments?

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan Crowley said...

Hey Jen!
Agreed, the message that girls can do cool things is often delivered with a subtle undertone of "can ya believe it?"
Maybe someday with balanced parents like you and Chris it'll be more mainstream.
Love reading of your antics! It makes me nostalgic for hours in the library last year and sweet times when our kids were little.
xxoo Susan

4:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home